Back to Top
The GenX Exposure Study was a result of community concerns about GenX in 2017. The study was designed to answer three questions:
- Is GenX inside my body, and if so, how much is there?
- What predicts GenX?
- Are there health effects to GenX?
The study quickly expanded to include a wide range of PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances).
- Residents of Wilmington on the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority water
- Residents near the chemical plant in Fayetteville whose wells were previously tested for GenX
What We Did
- Collected water samples and tested for PFAS
- Wilmington: tap water
- Fayetteville: tap and well water
- Collected blood and urine samples
- Clinical measures included:
- Metabolic panel
- Tested for PFAS
- Repeated testing in Wilmington
- Additional components in Fayetteville:
Where We Are Now
- Reported results to Wilmington residents through report back letters
- Conducting water analysis of Fayetteville samples
- Report results to Fayetteville
- Develop method to analyze urine samples
- Continue to update study participants as we have new results
- Analysis of PFAS and clinical values